The wait to apply for SASSA’s R350 grant is nearly over. Social Development Minister, Lindiwe Zulu has revealed that applications will open this month.
The Minister said it has taken the department some time to announce details about the grant, as it was waiting on the National Treasury to process the money required for payments to be made.
A total of R27 billion has been allocated to the R350 grant, which government hopes will provide relief to millions in South Africa.
Zulu said more details about the application process as well as the opening date for grant applications will be announced on Wednesday during a press briefing.
“Once the applications start, then we will process the applications. Nothing new is going to happen when it comes to the application processes. There has been an addition in terms of the people that have to apply that now includes the caregivers who had been excluded in the past.”
Now that more people have been included in the criteria to qualify for the grant, there have been concerns raised about the possibility of more overcrowding on SASSA grant collection days.
Zulu said this is something that the department is working on with the post office, under the guidance of the Minister of Communications and Technology, Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams.
According to the Minister, the post office has been staggering payments by sending out SMSes to beneficiaries on different days. This has been done to avoid long queues at post offices.
However, there have been other setbacks that Post Offices have been facing, as there have been times where some offices run out of cash to give to beneficiaries on their grant collection dates.
Minister Zulu said this is something that the Social Development department will continue to resolve with the Post Office going forward.