The University of KwaZulu-Natal is a university with five campuses in the province of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa. It was formed on 1 January 2004 after the merger between the University of Natal and the University of Durban-Westville.
To be the Premier University of African Scholarship.
A truly South African University of Choice that is academically excellent, innovative in research, entrepreneurial, and critically engaged with society.
UKZN aims to establish a value-driven organisational culture that empowers the Institution and its people to achieve institutional goals. The guiding values are Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Client Orientation, Honesty, and Trust – represented as R.E.A.C.H.T The behaviour and actions of everyone at UKZN will, accordingly, demonstrate:
- Respect: UKZN undertakes to promote mutual respect, courtesy, and inclusiveness.
- Excellence: UKZN undertakes to display quality, leadership and energy in all that it does.
- Accountability: UKZN promises to be responsible and accountable in the behaviour displayed towards all its stakeholders.
- Client Orientation: UKZN undertakes to satisfy the needs of all its clients, stakeholders and partners, on a consistent basis.
- Honesty: UKZN promises to deliver with integrity – steadfastly and with adherence to good governance.
- TrustT: The ‘T’ symbol after reacht refers to the principle of ‘trust’ that underpins all of the other institutional values. The implicit trust enjoyed by every member of UKZN and their well-defined actions that embrace the R.E.A.C.H.T values, are the important ingredients of the moral fibre of the Institution.
The goals of the University are:
- To achieve excellence in teaching and learning
- To achieve excellence and high impact in research, innovation and entrepreneurship
- To Promote high-impact societal and stakeholder Community engagement
- Targeted Internationalisation
- Institution of Choice for Learners:
To establish the University as an institution of choice that values students in all their diversity and has a student-centred ethos, providing students with curricula, teachers, infrastructure and support services designed around their needs and producing well-educated, competent, sought-after graduates.
- Institution of Choice for Staff:
To establish the University as an institution of choice that attracts and retains academic and support staff of the highest calibre by creating an intellectual environment that fosters and stimulates academic life, and a climate of organisational citizenship in which all staff recognise and understand their role in ensuring the success of the University.
- Efficient and Effective Management:
To establish and maintain efficient, effective management systems and processes that provide a caring and responsive service to meet internal and external needs in a pragmatic and flexible manner.