The Cape Peninsula University of Technology was established on 1 January 2005, when the Cape Technikon and Peninsula Technikon merged. This merger was part of a national transformation process that transformed the higher education landscape in South Africa.
Today, this institution is the only university of technology in the Western Cape and is the largest university in the region, boasting more than 30 000 students, several campuses and service points and more than 70 programmes.
However, the institution has humble beginnings in the Cape Technikon and Peninsula Technikon, which dates back to the early 1900’s.
Vision and Mission
To be at the heart of technology education and innovation in Africa.
The four aims that comprise our mission:
- We will build a university that is highly efficient, sustainable and environmentally conscious
- We will be known for the high quality of our teaching and learning and the relevance of our curriculum
- We will create a vibrant and well resourced living and learning environment for our students
- We will enhance and develop the quality and effectiveness of our research and knowledge production
- We undertake to deal with others in a spirit of Ubuntu
- All our interactions will be governed by a spirit of mutual respect
- We support the principle of equity
- We will promote innovation in all aspects of our work
- We will uphold the principle of accountability for our actions
- We prize excellence
- We will strive for efficiency in all our operations