What is a Trading Company?
Trading companies are businesses working with different kinds of products which are sold for consumer, business, or government purposes. Trading companies buy a specialized range of products, maintain a stock or a shop, and deliver products to customers.
Where to Register a Company/Business in Namibia?
- the Ministry of Finance (registration for VAT and Company Tax)
- the Ministry of Labour.
- the Ministry of Home Affairs (work permits, visas, etc.)
- the Social Security Commission.
How To Register A Trading Company In Namibia
Public Companies, Private Companies and NGOs require Memorandum and Articles of Association that need to be certified by a Notary Public who is a member of the legal profession. Therefore applicants applying for any of the business entities are encouraged to use the services of legal practitioners.
Forms for Close Corporations (CC8, CC1 and CC2) and Defensive Names (CM5, CM8, and CM8A) are available at all offices of the Ministry of Industrialisation, Trade and SME Development (MITSMED) country-wide and at the Namibia Chambers of Commerce and Industry (NCCI) and its branches at no cost.
Procedure to register a Trading Company in Namibia
- Submit name application/reservation form CM5 or reserve a name online
- Upon approval, you may apply for a Certificate of Incorporation and Certificate to Commence Business. This requires the submission of the following documents:
- Memorandum and article of Association in triplicate of forms CM3, CM4, CM44B and CM44C.
- Copy of approved name on CM5
- Notice of postal and registered address on CM22
- List of Directors, Auditors and public Officers on CM29
- Appointment of an Auditor on CM31
- Application of Certificate of Registration of memorandum of External Company CM46
- Request for submission of additional Copies on CM51.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Can I open a company for trading in Namibia?
A trading business can be carried out by any form of entity, i.e., by sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability partnership (LLP), company, etc. Depending upon the type of entity, incorporation is to be done. A sole proprietorship concern does not require any specific legal incorporation under any law.
Can I register a business before I start trading in Namibia?
Although you cannot simply reserve a company name for yourself without first registering your company with Companies House, if you are not quite ready to start trading yet, you could consider forming your company and leaving it in a ‘dormant’ state until you are ready to commence trading.
How long does it take to register a business in Namibia?
How long does it take to register a Trademark in Namibia? Trademark registration process takes minimum 6 month.
Can you register a company and not trade in Namibia?
A dormant company is simply a company that is ‘not trading’, so if you register your company under your chosen name and don’t start trading right away, you can leave it in its dormant state.
What is meant by registered company in Namibia?
A registered company is an organisation which is formed and registered with the appropriate statutory authority of the country as a ‘company or corporation’ in accordance with the corporate and securities law of that country.
How do I get a work visa for Namibia?
- A signed and completed application form.
- A passport that’s valid for at least three months beyond the projected expiration of the work permit.
- Two passport photographs.
- A letter from the employing company in Namibia.
What are bodies of registration in Namibia?
Registering Body means the Qualifications Authority or a body responsible for registering persons as registered training organisations under a corresponding law; Sample 1.
Does registering a company protect the name in Namibia?
Registering a company name does not automatically protect it by trade mark law. Similarly, if you register a trade mark, you may not necessarily be able to register it as a limited company name. Companies House registers companies and the Intellectual Property Office registers trade marks.
Is it easy to register a company in Namibia?
Registering your business with Companies House is easy. You can either do this directly via the Companies House web incorporation service or by filing a paper application. You could also choose to go via your accountant or you could use the professional services of a formations agent.
What happens after you register a company in Namibia?
After registration your company must within two months issue each shareholder with a Share certificate. A share certificate is evidence of each shareholder’s title to their shares. Shareholders can use their certificate as evidence if their name is deleted from the company’s internal Register of Members.