Selection criteria include the following:
- The applicant’s academic ability;
- Eligibility for an approved degree or PGCE in two of the priority areas;
- Commitment to a teaching career, which includes: interest in working with young people; enthusiasm for a professional career in teaching; readiness to face and surmount difficult challenges; and personal integrity;
- Commitment to teach in any school to which a student may be appointed by a PED.
- Everything else being equal, selection should favour candidates from rural areas, candidates who wish to teach in rural areas and candidates whose financial position would otherwise exclude them from enrolment for a teaching qualification.
The priority areas are:
What the bursary covers
Funza Lushaka bursaries cover all the recipient’s essential expenses. Expenses covered include tuition, full accommodation including meals, books and learning materials, and a small allowance for monthly living expenses. The allocation to any individual student is capped at a specific value. Where the HEI charges more than the capped value the bursars will have to top up from own funds. Universities have different cost structures, so the total value of a bursary differs from institution to institution.
Conditions for repeating a year
The bursary period may be extended to cover one additional year in a degree programme, or the time required for completion of one additional course in the PGCE programme. Only one such extension will be granted. Funding for an additional year of study (i.e. 5th year) is not automatic and will be considered on a case by case basis. In cases where support is provided for an additional year, the service obligation for the student is extended by a year. Any additional time required will be at the recipient’s own cost. The bursary is renewable for one academic year at a time. On proof of academic success, the bursary may be renewed each year until the recipient of the bursary has qualified as a teacher.
Conditions for repayment of the bursary
The bursary must be repaid only if the recipient fails to qualify, fails to apply for a teaching post with a PED at a public school, fails to take up a teaching post with a PED at a public school, leaves a teaching post with a PED before the end of the contracted service period, or otherwise fails to meet a requirement of the bursary agreement.