SARS Registration

This article provides the guidelines on the SARS Registration process and the required documents which are needed for SARS Registration.

You must register as a taxpayer with the South African Revenue Service (SARS) if you earn more than a specific amount, which is determined every year. You must register within 60 days of first receiving an income.

SARS registration process

Below are three ways to register for tax in South Africa:

Auto registration for Personal Income Tax: When you register for SARS eFiling for the first time and you do not have a tax reference number, SARS will automatically register you and issue a tax reference number. Note that you must have a valid South African ID. You can also register for SARS eFiling on the SARS MobiApp.

Register through your Employer via SARS eFiling: SARS eFiling offers the SARS registration function which allows employers to submit employee income tax registrations to SARS.

Register at a SARS branch office: You can request a service consultant to assist you in registering for tax at your nearest SARS branch office. Remember to bring the relevant supporting documents.

If you are unsure whether you are registered or not, you can ask your Employer, use the SARS online Query function, or call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277. SARS won’t provide your tax number to another person unless the person is your tax practitioner or has Power of Attorney (POA) to conduct your tax affairs.

You can request a Notice of Registration (IT150) which will reflect your tax reference number through several channels. For example, you can send a query to SARS, request your notice of registration via MobiApp if you are a registered eFiler, or use the SARS SMS Channel by sending an SMS to SARS on 47277 from your mobile device.

Documents are needed for SARS supporting registration

To register for SARS (South African Revenue Service) in South Africa, you will need the following documents:

  • Proof of Identity: A copy of a valid identity document, driving license, passport, temporary identity document, asylum seeker certificate or permit together with the original identification. If you are a minor, a copy of your birth certificate together with a copy of one of the parent’s/guardian’s identity documents is required. If there is no surviving parent, the death certificate of one parent must be provided by the appointed guardian.
  • Proof of Address: This could be a utility account (e.g., rates and taxes, water or electricity account), educational institution account, co-op statement (for farmers), medical aid statement, mortgage statement from mortgage lender, telephone account (all networks), e-Toll account, SABC television license, retail accounts (e.g., Woolworths, Edgars, etc.), motor vehicle license documents, court order, subpoena, traffic fine, documentation relating to UIF or pension pay-out, life assurance document, short-term insurance document, health insurance document, funeral policy document, investment statement from share, portfolio or unit trust, or a current and valid lease/franchise agreement.
  • Bank Account Details: For proof of banking details for new taxpayers or changes in banking details for existing taxpayers, see the list of required supporting documents.
  • Contact Information: Including email address and telephone number.

Please note that if you’re an eFiler, you will be able to change some of your details via eFiling. If you want to apply for registration of Payroll taxes, you need to complete the EMP101e Payroll taxes – Application for Registration taxes form.