SARS refund

SARS refund can be requested by completing Part A of the REV1600 form by emailing it to the following email address:

The following documents must be sent together with the signed REV1600:

  • Proof of payment – eSTT receipt printed from the eFiling website;
  • A signed letter from you asking for a refund from SARS;
  • Certified copy of identity document; and
  • Original bank statement or ATM/internet generated statement or ABSA eStamped statement not more than three months old that confirms the account holder’s name, bank name, account number, account type and branch code.

How SARS refund works

In South Africa, the South African Revenue Service (SARS) processes tax refunds. Below is how it works:

Refund Processing Time: SARS is aware that some refunds may take longer than the 72 hours initially communicated to taxpayers. They are currently processing large volumes of refunds and expect to have processed these refunds by the following week.

Checking Refund Status: You can check the status of your tax refund by visiting the official SARS website or by contacting the SARS call center. You will need your unique taxpayer reference number (ITIN) to check the status of your refund.

Refund Amount and Payment Date: The refund amount (if any) and refund payment date can be seen on the ‘Income Tax Statement of Account’ (ITSA) on eFiling. The refund date displayed next to ‘Electronic refund’ and the amount (if a refund) in the ‘Transaction value’ column on the ITSA is the date the amount will be paid into your bank account.

Claiming a Refund: To claim a refund, the withholding agent must complete the Claim for Refund out of Revenue (REV16) form. If you need any help with filling in the form, you may call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 7277 or go to your nearest SARS branch.

Non-resident Individuals: Non-resident individuals may qualify for a tax refund in South Africa, where they submit an RST01 application to SARS. This is an application made by a tax non-resident seeking relief for tax on pensions and annuities that are made in terms of a Double Taxation Agreement. You will need to apply anew to use this relief every year.