How to get an internship visa in USA

This post answers the question “How can I get internship visa in USA?”.

To qualify for an Intenship program you need to have below criteria:

  • Applicants must be full time students or have graduated recently (you must commence internship no later than 12 months after graduation).
  • The applicant must be minimum 18 years old.
  • The applicant must have the sufficient English skills to work in a company in the US.
  • All applicants must demonstrate their ability to comprehend and communicate in English.
  • Applicants must be enrolled in an academic program lasting at least a year. The educational program must result in an educational degree.
  • The internship must be relevant to the applicant’s study at home.
  • If the applicant has taken internships in the US previously he or she must prove that the new training period does not correspond to the former.

Special Criteria for Applicants who Have Graduated

  • Applicants who have graduated longer than 12 months prior and hold relevant work experience can also apply for a J-1 visa. This is called Practical Career Training.
    • The applicant must have a higher education that has lasted at least 2 years.
    • The internship must be related to the applicant’s education.
    • The applicant must have at least one year of relevant work experience.

Restrictions When Working on a J-1 visa

A J-1 visa only allows interns to work in positions that require special skills. This means that the job should require some theoretical knowledge. Unskilled tasks such as working as a receptionist, clerk, cashier or bartender will, in most cases, not be allowed.

Other Types of Work That are Not Allowed on a J-1 visa

  • Au-pair work, maid work or other domestic work like child care.
  • Scout leader, Camp director.
  • Medicine/nursing or other fields that involves therapy, counselling, nursing or diagnosis of medical, psychiatric or psychological nature.
  • Pharmacy related work.
  • Veterinary or animal keeper.
  • Pilot or crew member on a boat or plane.
  • Teachers or trainers.
  • Temporary work or consultancy work.