For degree studies at the University of the Free State, we expect that:
- You have an NSC or NCV with an endorsement that allows entrance to degree studies (Bachelor’s degree) or an equivalent qualification.
- You meet all the minimum admission requirements for the programme you intend to study. Meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen/intended programme of study does not guarantee admission, as limited spaces are available in each programme.
- You have a minimum level of 4 (50%) in the chosen UFS language of instruction: English or Afrikaans (only applicable to certain programmes).
- You must pass certain school subjects with a minimum level of achievement in order to take a certain university module. For example, you must get a mark of 70% for Mathematics in Grade 12 if you plan to study BSc majoring in Physics with Engineering subjects. Please refer to the section on the faculty-specific admission requirements, which also includes the respective compulsory subjects and achievement levels required per programme.
- Limited space: Keep in mind that all programmes have limited space available; therefore, you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. When we process your application for admission, we capture your details onto the UFS databases – if your details are not available, you will not be admitted or be able to register. For this reason, it is very important to stick to the closing dates. Meeting the minimum admission requirements for your chosen/intended programme of study does not guarantee admission, as limited space is available in each programme.
- National Senior Certificate: If you already have a National Senior Certificate (NSC), you must include a copy with your application form.
- Application: Make sure that you complete the application properly and attach all the required documents. An incomplete application, as well as outstanding documents, will delay your application process. Make sure that you complete the application form thoroughly, e.g. if you need on-campus residence accommodation and/or financial aid, indicate this in the relevant section.
- Transferring students: If you transfer from another tertiary institution, you must include a certificate of conduct and an official study record from the previous tertiary institution with your application AND submit copies when you register.
- International students: If you are from another country, you must attach your certified school-leaving certificate, diplomas, and proof of a conditional exemption certificate issued by the Matriculation Board, to your application. Apply to mb.usaf.ac.za for conditional exemption.